World Class Verilog & SystemVerilog Training
Sunburst Design - Advanced SystemVerilog for Design
by Recognized Verilog & SystemVerilog Guru, Cliff Cummings of Sunburst Design, Inc.
Cliff Cummings is the only Verilog & SystemVerilog Trainer who helped develop every IEEE & Accellera Verilog, Verilog Synthesis and SystemVerilog Standard.
|3-Day SystemVerilog Syllabus in PDF|
70% Lecture, 30% Lab
Simply stated, to give engineers world class SystemVerilog language & design training using award winning materials developed by renowned Verilog & SystemVerilog Guru, Cliff Cummings
Upon completion of this course, students will:
Sunburst Design - Advanced SystemVerilog for Design is a 3-day fast-paced intensive course that focuses on proven and new SystemVerilog features for design, simulation and synthesis. Efficient and proven coding styles are combined with frequent exercises and insightful labs to demonstrate the capabilities of new SystemVerilog features. You will discover that SystemVerilog capabilities are fully backward compatible with Verilog-2001 designs.
This SystemVerilog training was developed and is frequently updated by the renowned SystemVerilog guru and IEEE SystemVerilog committee member, Cliff Cummings. Cliff has presented at numerous SystemVerilog seminars and training classes world wide, including the 2003-2004 SystemVerilog NOW! Seminars, the 2010 ModelSim SystemVerilog Assertion Based Verification Seminars, and multiple Verification Academy DAC seminars.
The 1000+ page binder and 140+ page lab guide for this 3-day course covers all of the important SystemVerilog coding styles for RTL & behavioral design. These materials are constantly being updated with the latest clarifications and corrections passed by the IEEE SystemVerilog committee, of which Cliff is an active participant. Numerous proven usage guidelines are taught and explained.
Sunburst Design - Advanced SystemVerilog for Design is intended for design engineers who require in-depth knowledge on the IEEE SystemVerilog standard with an emphasis on the new RTL & behavioral design capabilities.
This is a very advanced SystemVerilog class that assumes engineers already have a good working knowledge of the Verilog language.
This course assumes that students have a practical working knowledge of Verilog HDL or have completed Verilog HDL training. Engineers with VHDL synthesis experience and some Verilog exposure will do well in this class. Engineers with no prior HDL training or experience will struggle in this class. Engineers with weak Verilog knowledge or experience should consider adding the 1-day, Sunburst Design - Accelerated Introduction to Verilog-2001 & Best Known Coding Practices course to fully prepare for advanced SystemVerilog training.
The Sunburst Design - Advantage
Who is teaching your "expert" and "advanced" classes? Most companies will not tell you because their instructors might not have much design experience or may never have participated on any of the Verilog or SystemVerilog Standards groups or presented at industry recognized conferences. Go to our web site and read about the Sunburst Design - Instructors - they are the best and they have the experience and qualifications to offer best-in-class training.
Sunburst Design Courses:
Course Customization? - Sunburst Design courses can be customized to include your company's coding guidelines or to modify the course for a different audience. Sections can be added or deleted from a course to meet you company's needs.
Training is generally conducted at your facilities. For maximum effectiveness, we recommend having at least one workstation or PC for every two students, with your preferred SystemVerilog simulator licenses (we often can help acquire the simulator and temporary training licenses).
SystemVerilog Enhancements & Methodology Overview
- Includes a quick review of SystemVerilog resources available to design & verification engineers.
Data Types & Typedefs
- Includes data types, enumerated types, compilation units, packages, casting and randomization functions.
SystemVerilog Operators, Loops, Jumps. New Logic-Specific Processes & unique & priority. Enhanced functions & tasks. New timing controls
- New operator and enhanced loop control have been added for improved design & verification. New always_type blocks show design intent and help ensure construction of proper hardware designs. Enhancements were added to tasks and functions to increase their capabilities. Unique and priority are new SystemVerilog replacements for the dangerous "Evil Twins," full_case parallel_case. All of these features, and more, are described in this section.
Implicit .* and .name Port Instantiation
- Implicit port connections can reduce top-level ASIC and FPGA coding efforts by more than 70% and simultaneously enforce greater port type checking.
Nonblocking Assignments, Race Conditions & SystemVerilog Event Scheduling
- SystemVerilog is fully backward compatible with Verilog-2001 (it is also fully race backward compatible!) This section describes in detail how the new SystemVerilog event scheduling works and how it will reduce race conditions between RTL designs and verification suites.
Structs, Unions, Packed & Unpacked Arrays
- Packed & unpacked arrays, unions and structs allow greater abstraction and more concise coding. The new dynamic array types facilitate behavioral modeling and assist in the development of verification environments.
- Interfaces are a powerful new form of abstraction and this section details how they work for design and verification. This section also discusses when and when not to use interfaces.
SVA - SystemVerilog Assertions
- This section details how the SystemVerilog Assertion (SVA) syntax works and how assertions can be used for design and verification. Special macro-techniques are shown to reduce assertion coding effort by up to 80%.
DPI - Direct Programming Interface - SystemVerilog's C-Language Interface
(Optional section - may be omitted to give more time to other topics and labs)
- The Direct Programming Interface (DPI) can be used to simulate C-code with SystemVerilog code. This section describes how this can be done and how DPI programming differs from PLI programming.
SystemVerilog FSM Design Techniques
- Six different FSM coding styles, enhanced with new SystemVerilog constructs, are detailed and compared for coding and synthesis efficiency. Multiple FSM designs are benchmarked for coding style efficiency.
Multi-clock Clock Domain Crossing (CDC) & FIFO Design Techniques using SystemVerilog
- Very advanced design techniques from Cliff's award-winning presentations on the efficient implementation of multi-clock CDC & FIFO designs. These materials are not specific to SystemVerilog but solutions are shown using SystemVerilog syntax (advanced techniques that all design engineers should know - the stuff you did not learn in college).
Training is generally conducted at your facilities. For maximum effectiveness, we recommend having one workstation or PC for every two students, with licenses for your preferred Verilog simulator (we often can help provide the simulator and temporary training licenses).
For more information, contact:
Cliff Cummings - firstname.lastname@example.org - Sunburst Design, Inc. - 503-641-8446